[OLPC_Boston] Question on eToys Older kids and adults??

Nicholas Doiron ndoiron at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Mar 12 09:10:49 EST 2011

To clarify an e-mail I wrote quickly last night:

There are a lot of ideas out there about how to do intro-to-programming
and I like what people have done with eToys at the primary school level (
if you haven't seen Waveplace's experiences in Haiti, read
http://waveplace.org/news/blog/ )

As you target middle school level students or above, they're interested in
the internet and media.  Some are interested in technical details - ask
any programmer you know when they started.  You can make a high school kid
an expert in eToys, but they won't be any closer to making their own
website or Space Invaders game.  If you would give someone a power tool in
shop class, you should give them a real programming language on the
computer.

Mozilla's Hackasaurus program is designed for learning HTML at this level.
 Two amazing workshops in the past month:
http://spotlight.macfound.org/featured-stories/entry/at-hackasaurus-jam-mozilla-encourages-young-programmers-to-change-the-web/
and http://brettgaylor.tumblr.com/post/3526122151/web-made-movies-at-bavc
They have information about setting up your own workshop at
hackasaurus.org

Regards,
Nick Doiron