[OLPC_Boston] [Olpc] Re: Update on CFS Server

Katelyn Foley kfoley at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 10 16:03:06 EDT 2009

Dear all,

The CFS deployment is scheduled for Wednesday, March 18th!

We have now raised 30 laptops for the two sixth grade classes and hosted
several teacher training workshops. On Wednesday, the students will receive
the laptops during their independent learning block from 10:30 to 11:20 AM.

Olin will be coordinating server set-up before then and working with our
Harvard team to update the laptops so that they are ready for the kids.

As far as a pilot schedule goes, we will be meeting with the teachers each
week to discuss the weekly plan for the following week. The teachers are new
to the sixth grade, so their curriculum is designed on a week-to-week basis.
These weekly check-ins will most likely take place on Friday afternoons. The
XOs will be used during 8 class periods per week for the first few weeks of
the pilot. Times will be updated and sent to OLPC Boston during the week
before.

Pilot Schedule:

Wednesday, March 18th: Pilot Launch during Independent Learning Block, 10:30
to 11:20 AM.
Friday, March 20th: XO introduction continued during Independent Learning
Block, 1:00 to 1:50 PM, weekly check in with teachers after school
Week of March 23rd: Week 2 of pilot, Begin identifying students who want to
volunteer for an in-house technical support team
Week of March 30th: Week 3 of pilot, Collaborative biology projects using
the XO
Week of April 6th: Week 4 of pilot, Presentations on biology projects
Week of April 13th: Week 5 of pilot
Week of April 20th: CFS Spring Break, Harvard and Olin teams to organize
meet-ups for volunteers
Week of April 27th: Week 6 of pilot
Week of May 4th: Week 7 of pilot, Wrap-up and final projects using the XO

During the pilot, the Harvard team will be videotaping students with the
laptops for a documentary video. In addition, we will be using observational
video to analyze students' body language while using the XOs and
interviewing students to learn about their experiences. We hope that these
research findings will allow us to better understand the XO's effects on
teacher-student interactions and on collaborative behavior in the classroom.

There are many opportunities to be involved in organizing after-school
activities, helping with technical support, and working on curriculum
development. Please email us if you are interested!

Thanks so much,
Katelyn and MacKenzie