[Olpc-za] Small question !

Jeff jeff at wildcoast.com
Mon Aug 20 15:50:39 EDT 2007

Lungi Siqebengu (LuW) wrote:

> Eastern Cape - can you, Jeff OR Ron elaborate more please on the
> work that is being done.

It looks like Ron of eKhayaICT is making good headway linking the
disparate groups working towards the same goal.

There are several ICT projects which have been working independently:
namely VA32ûS (Volunteer Africa 32ûSouth), SELF (Solar Electric Light
Fund), and the Uniforum/ISPA backed NetDay computer classrooms which
are being implemented in the Coffee Bay - Hole in the Wall - Seaview
region.

A WiFi network linking the schools to each other - effectively from
Hole in the Wall up the coast to Coffee Bay, and up inland to
Zithulele hospital (on a fortunate high-point in line of sight to
Tafelahashi / Zwelenqaba) - is being rolled out in November. The aim
is to provide internet and support services for the schools and
medical care staff - as well as, ultimately (and hopefully), base
station infrastructure for the XOs to link up over a large-ish area.

Various options are being investigated to cover the internet costs.
The schools are able to pay about R500 per month each towards
bandwidth... at the moment.

I mentioned Tafelahashi - but I don't really know what's happening
there, except that we should be able to link via line of sight from
there to Dwesa. The point is that a large WiFi hotspot with broadband
internet will be available for the kids using the XOs - at whichever
school/s is/are chosen for pilot... including the schools which have
recently been computerized (near Dwesa) by the Rhodes / Fort Hare
initiatives.

The biggest hurdle I think we're facing - and I hope you were
speaking as euphemistically as I interpreted when you say "closer to
Pretoria" - is to get government to open source the core curriculum
for distribution via e-text. . . and to start seeing the XO as simply
a more cost effective and durable textbook/jotter replacement -
initially.

I'm just thinking aloud, really... I'd welcome some serious criticism
and input here.

--
Jeff Brown
Website: www.wildcoast.com

8< --
Do not believe in miracles -- rely on them.