[Olpc-za] Small question !

Lungi Siqebengu lungis at iafrica.com
Mon Aug 20 22:54:54 EDT 2007

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for the update . It sounds like some headway is being created
here.

The “closer to Pretoria” part was referring to Antoine’s input about the
invitation from the Dept of Labour. His request was “ OLPC-ZA has been
invited to a workshop in Pretoria hosted by the Department of Labor who are
busy looking at options for laptops to use in training programs. (Anyone on
the list who lives closer to Pretoria who feels like representing OLPC-ZA
there ? “ . Hence my response was asking what can people living closer to
Pretoria, who are in the list do?

Talking about Pretoria (meaning Gov), and open source, the curriculum for
distribution via e-text. I am aware of the example of - seeing the XO as
simply a more cost effective and durable textbook/jotter replacement, that
you have espoused. Can you kindly unpack it a bit more please. Who do you
think can be sensitised within the National Dept of Education, to move in
this direction?

I know you said you were thinking aloud - and I am not going to hold you to
it, but maybe, with all of us exploring this idea somewhere we can get a
lead. I think there are a number of people that are advising/influencing
Gov and probably they are reaching some dead-end. This is could be a taste
of fresh air towards that thinking. In Gauteng I am aware of some
initiative of setting up a “division” on e-learning. People involved are
not that clued up on e-learning, let alone cost-effective but high impact
tools such as XO, are available. We are going to need to talk to such at
both Prov level and also Nat level. I totally agree with approaching Nat
level first , as this can then filter to all 9 Provs.

Just thinking !

Best Regards,

Lungi Siqebengu

(lungis at iafrica.com is Synonymous with lungis at 4pillars.co.za).