[Olpc-uk] OLPC UK digest 2009-09-25

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Fri Sep 25 07:13:31 EDT 2009

== OLPC UK Digest 2009-09-25 ==

Peter Robinson and I met up for a coffee this morning.  We talked
about somethings I thought it might be interesting to summarise.

As this is a mix of information and analysis (hah), I hasten to point
out that I don't speak for Peter or our employers or SugarLabs or OLPC
UK or a secret cabal of Fedora - SugarLabs - Bavarian Illuminati
conspirators or basically anyone, so please don't read too much into
things.

=== Pilot progress ===

Due to illness the distribution of laptops has not happened yet (we
believe), but we hope that the pilot will get back on track soon.

=== OLPC UK infrastructure ===

A server upgrade has been done on the olpc.org.uk infrastructure and
we should be reaping the benefits soon.

Our blog is syndicated to planet.sugarlabs.org so if there is any news
please share it with this list or follow the instructions on
olpc.org.uk and we'll see about getting the word out.

=== OLPC UK Library and Repair Centre ===

The L/RC has so far had one unsolicited repair request and I'm happy
to report a very satisfied customer - see the thank-you letter here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:Olpc-uk-repair-centre-thank-you-note-20090724.jpg
.  A couple of repairs have been done for the UK pilot and the Library
stock is still 100% lent out.  I hope to blog about this on the OLPC
UK website soon and get the laptop borrowers whipped up into a coding
frenzy soon.

Adam Holt from OLPC continues to send people in need of assistance and
interesting organisations our way, facilitating communication.

[full status update is at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Lending_Library_and_Repair_Centre/Status_20090925 ]

=== Sugar on a Stick discussion ===

Lots of discussion on various mailing lists about Sugar on a Stick and some of the tangential child threads.  There are a number of issues and meta-issues at play, and we had a good natter about:

- cross-posting to mailing lists has gone out of control

- rpms vs xo debate should not be happening on IAEP

- SugarLabs needs a technical authority to weigh the good points on
  both sides and set the Sl direction in a constructive way.

- sugaronastick.com is a questionable venture

- the attention of volunteer organisations is a precious resource that
  many people are very quick to waste, so contributors should not be
  shy about ignoring such drains on their time, or pointing out when
  someone else's time is being drained.

=== OLPC UK meta coffee ===

Peter and I might like to make these coffee fests (now on our third or
fourth, I think) a bit more regular / approachable, in case anyone
else wants to while away a few minutes on Friday morning.  Meet us in
Starbucks in St. Katherine's docks at 8:15 AM on Friday, Oct 9th,
2009.

Martin

---
XO dorksig: Written on my OLPC XO-1 laptop