[Olpc-uk] Hello

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 07:32:19 EDT 2009

Hi John,

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 12:03 PM, John Wagg <johnwagg at btinternet.com> wrote:

> I'm an ageing developer looking for ways to use my skills for more useful
> purposes than I have so far in my career. I've been playing with various
> bits of OLPC-XO to get more idea of where I might get involved. I'm not
> progressing very fast at the moment. I've tried emulation of XO on my
> windows machine. It seems to work but doesn't give me anything that seems
> very useful at the moment. I don't have any activities available. What would
> people recommend as the best way to get some experience of playing around
> with XO? Should I persevere with emulation? Should I try to get hold of an
> XO machine? All advice gratefully received. I hope I'm not emailing zillions
> of people. Don't all tell me to get lost if I am.

Welcome. I believe that the Sugar On A Stick release, which is available
from here http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Strawberry, is
probably the best place to get started as it comes with 40 odd activities to
play with. You can either install it to a USB stick and boot you computer
off it or run it in an emulated environment such as vmware. Let me know how
you get on.

Peter