[Olpc-uk] A potential partnership with Warwick UNICEF on Campus

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Tue Nov 10 06:36:07 EST 2009

Hi Dev,

It sounds like you are keen to work on some big ticket items...that's
excellent.  We (OLPC UK) are a collection of volunteers, so there is
no organisation to speak of (yet).  One can just inform the group of
what's being done and hope people come along for the ride.  I hope you
get some takers.

Let me suggest some actions:

1) create some content on your own before you start helping others do
so - this will give you an idea of the challenges so you can be a
better resource for others.
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Getting_Involved#Content_Writer
and http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Getting_Involved#Educator
are good place to start looking.  There are mailing lists in which to
ask for help on this specifically:
helpful.

2) research the extant content in your chosen area; there are lots on
the OLPC and Sugar Labs wikis: http://wiki.laptop.org and
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org ;
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Educational_content_ideas is one place to start.

3) try to modify an existing Sugar Activity before creating your own.
Start with "Speak", for example...perhaps make it add "Ask UNICEF about"
in front of everything it says.

4) Consider the messages in your campaign and check out the OLPC wiki
for marketing-type ideas and inspiration: http://wiki.laptop.org/

If you need walk-throughs and are in London, perhaps we could have a
get together and share our knowledge.  I'm not sure if there is anyone
around Warwick that can help with that.

Martin