[Olpc-uk] OLPC UK Pilot Laptop Proposal - HELP NEEDED

Michael Jordan michael_jordan50 at bigpond.com
Thu Jun 11 05:47:46 EDT 2009

Martin,

Many of your points are important not only for the application, but also for
organisation of the pilot.

For instance, some of my current concerns each relating to some of your
points raised include:

* Deployment Set up time: How much time will it take to setup the XO's once
we have finalised what the teacher's want on them for the pilot? Who is
available for this? When?
* Pilot Assessment: We need to define what we want / need to achieve in the
pilot and how to measure it for it to be of value?
* Ongoing Support: for the pilot this will need to be done by us, support in
terms of answering questions / issues raised by the IT team looking after
the school.  Who will manage this? How much time will participants need to
allocate?

In terms of your points:

contribution to community: I think the big contribution to the community
relates to the school demographics. The potential pilot schools both have a
large number of low income families, diverse ethnic backgrounds and
nationalities and, therefore, greater needs for support in education.
Additional people: It would be great if a number of others could lend their
names / biographies and identify where they may be able to contribute to the
pilot
Background and Significance: would it help if we set some concrete goals on
what OLPC wants to achieve in 12 months? Say set a number for deployment by
September 2010? The reasons why we need a successful UK pilot to achieve
that?
Pilot Goals: Agree with yours, but comes back to how are we going to measure
success and what is a success of the pilot?

Timeline
I am working on a detailed timeline today, but it would be great if people
could contribute to the points raised above and by Martin and identify areas
they could conceivably contribute to.

Michael