[Olpc-uk] OLPC UK Pilot Laptop Proposal - HELP NEEDED

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Wed Jun 10 14:10:01 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 12:04:42PM +0100, Martin Dengler wrote:
> Team OLPC UK,
>
> We're trying to get laptops for the September pilot.  XOs, in
> particular. Please help improve the proposal, help with the work, help
> in any way you see fit.

> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/Pilots/London2009/Proposal

Here are two comments on the proposal:

I) I have one major concern: we don't have a good goal for the
  pilot besides "start OLPC UK".  That - OLPC UK - is a means to
  an end.  What end that is - ultimately - is a big question for
  later.

What we need to be crystal clear about *NOW* is: how we want the
school to judge the pilot a success.  I propose two criteria:

  1) the class receiving laptops achieves one (1) *concrete* goal in
     2009 academic year; and

  2) the school wants to do a full deployment in Sep 2010.

Clearly we believe that 2) will follow from something, but I
don't think it's just "giving kids laptops" and I think we need
to be very focused on 1) because it will keep *the school
community* focused.  For parents, kids, and teachers we want to
be able to say "No, we won't spend our time on your request
because we're doing #1, which you think is the primary goal of
the kids having the laptop".  We're going to have to say "No" a
lot!

If everyone's been taking it for granted and I've just realised
it, great...then please add any other placeholders to the
proposal, but we need to be more explicit about 1) who at the
school signs off on this goal; and 2) by when they have to sign
off on it.

II) There are other areas we need help on:

* The "Background and Significance" section seems weak.  It
  says "support us because we'll be good PR and will do some
  vague things ('variety of int'l and domestic projects') for you
  in the future".  This isn't convincing to me.  We need to
  address my concern I) and then revisit this section to punch it
  up.

* we need to work in a viable IT support organisation for
  day-to-day support and generate some confidence that we won't
  be handing over laptops and walking away

* we can be stronger in the "giving back to the community"
  section - any suggestions here?

* we'd be better getting more people to put their name to this
  too so OLPC Boston will have increased confidence

Martin