[Olpc-sysadmin] Deployment team task tracking

Pia Waugh pia at waughpartners.com.au
Mon Mar 2 17:07:49 EST 2009

Hi Mel,

<quote who="Mel Chua">

> I wondered if you had any quick solutions to something Colin, Yifan,
> Xavier, myself, and others at Olin doing tech work for local pilots have
> been running into lately, which is that our wiki task tracker
> (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Cambridge_Friends_School/Tech) is getting
> increasingly frustrating to work with as our numbers and to-do lists
> rapidly grow.

I've been thinking exactly the same thing, and how perhaps shared
infrastructure that deployments could leverage would be a good thing.

I'm looking at project management tools now that would suit this. What do
you think of this:

  http://openproj.org/openproj

There are loads of crap project management tools, this one looks ok. The
point is if we can use this need (your need, and other project needs) to
figure out the best tool, we can then have an olpcfriends.org hosted tool
that any deployment could use, with best practise examples ready to plug in
:)

> We could set up our own task tracker, but don't really want to
> administer it long-term. Is deployment ticket tracking hosting a service
> that olpcfriends, SL, OLPC, or someone else could provide?
>
> More detail here:
> http://blog.melchua.com/2009/03/02/deployment-tech-teams-need-ticket-trackers-too/

Am definitely on the same page. Let's find something we like, and host it :)

Cheers,
Pia

--

Waugh Partners

  m. +61 400 966 453
  p. +61 2 9318 0284
  f. +61 2 9318 2884
  w. http://waughpartners.com.au/

Open Source: Strategic Consulting, Industry Development, Research & Analysis