[Sur] [Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Sugar oversight board meeting

Walter Bender walter.bender en gmail.com
Lun Nov 4 21:14:11 EST 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 November 2013 22:53, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> * It's not clear to me where we are going. The OLPC/Sugar development
>> ecosystem seems to be at a crossroads. I am encouraged by the web activity
>> work, but don't understand the path of transposing the value proposition of
>> Sugar (interface, Journal, collaboration, Activities) to handheld tactile
>> devices (tablets to smartphones). PCs (of any size) with keyboards are no
>> longer competitive with tablets for grade-school classroom use. Perhaps the
>> XO-4 could still be in the running; there is no clear message from OLPC.
>

> I'll try to express briefly my feelings about the directions the project
> could take. Note that I might be missing a lot of what is going on above the
> technical level.
>
> * The XO is not a viable hardware platform other than for existing
> deployments. OLPC is pretty clearly going in a different direction.

I may be alone in thinking that there will be some runway left with
the XO. But deployments need alternatives regardless.

> * Sugar web activities on the top of a full Android loses too much of the
> Sugar value proposition. It's great to have it in addition to Sugar-the-OS,
> but it's not enough alone.

I agree.

> * From the technical point of view there are several ways to get
> Sugar-the-OS running on tactile devices. Unfortunately it's not clear to me
> that any of these devices is open enough to be viable for deployments or
> "ordinary" users.

We looked at ChromeOS a few years back, but at the time it was too
heavy for our hardware. Today, it is a different story. Might be a
viable option. Certainly running GNU/Linux/Sugar on a ChromeBook is
not a bad starting point.

> --
> Daniel Narvaez

-walter