[Sur] [Localization] TamTam activity Spanish locales

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho en hotmail.com
Vie Jul 1 10:52:46 EDT 2011

Hi...I haven't looked a the terms in question, however I would like to point out that there is a standard set of names for musical instruments. While musical scores will often contain more than one, it might be nice to standardize the instruments in TamTam, possibly using the Italian terms as musicians everywhere will understand them. Why shouldn't children everywhere also learn them? For local folk instruments, the local name where the instrument originates would be most suitable.  There would be some problem with overlap on some names, for example, "Flauto" is flute in Italian, and one of the indiginous Andean wind instruments is called "Flauta".  The "Pan Pipes" as we call them in English should properly be called "Samponia" or "Zamponia" as it is called the Andean nations.  Music is known as the "universal language", let's work to keep it that way.Caryl  (M.A. Music Education... long time ago!)
From: cjlhomeaddress en gmail.com
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 13:20:18 -0400
To: jza en openoffice.org
CC: alsroot en member.fsf.org; localization en lists.laptop.org; dirakx en gmail.com; olpc-sur en lists.laptop.org
Subject: Re: [Sur] [Localization] TamTam activity Spanish locales

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Alexandro Colorado <jza en openoffice.org> wrote:
> I found many issues with the localization for TamTam, in part for maybe the
> lack of knowledge on foreign musical instruments and in part because is just
> based off automated translations that avoid context.
>
> A couple of examples are:
> slap = as in slap percussion. In spanish was translated as "Bofetada" which
> mostly means slap in the face or for us in Urban dictionary, "bitch
> slappin'" :D
> However I in context is odd to slap your legs or slap that ass with the term
> "Bofetada".
> Other issues are instruments that don't really translate well like the plate
> instrument -- Chimes which is translated as "Bells" however the chimes
> instrument doesnt really resembles any bells (Campandas). Specially since is
> a mixture between ximbal and a triangle instrument.
> Would want to generate a report of all these fuzzy terms and dump it into
> something more people can discuss on a more public list. Feel free to
> contribute the terminology.
> --
> Alexandro Colorado
> OpenOffice.org Español
> http://es.openoffice.org

Alexandro (jza),

You are certainly not the only person who has noticed the difficulty
of localizing some of the sound names of the TamTam tooltips, but it
is always good to bring such discussions to the list.

I recently worked with Rafael Ortiz (dirakx) and Aleksey Lim (alsroot)
to make some suggestions to make it easier for localizers to give good
translations by adding additional developer's comments.  (see attached
spreadsheet and this recent commit).

http://git.sugarlabs.org/tamtam/tamtam/commit/b49b14cf394f06e7ab788ff5ab9e521116a2a368

In addition, alsroot and dirakx are experimenting with combining the
TamTam strings into a single PO file so there is not quite so much
duplicate effort required to do all four TamTam Suite activities.

I am not claiming that my suggested re-namings are authoritative and I
believe that different ears can hear the sounds a little differently,
so I would be happy to discuss alternatives to the suggested changes I
proposed.  This list is a fine place to do tha  as it is really
related to internationalization (as opposed to activity function).
This is also a good time to do that as the code is getting some i18n
attention anyway and consensus changes can be made relatively easily.

I won't comment on specific string translations into Spanish, I'll
leave that to native speakers, I'm just trying to make it easier for
all localizers to provide a quality translation of these relative new
string additions to the TamTam suite.

Warmest regards,

cjl