[Olpc-socal] SCaLE11X OSSIE and Raspberry Pi

Steven Pease spease at ucla.edu
Mon Jan 28 02:53:49 EST 2013

Raspberry Pi tend to be out of stock across the board. We have a few for
the $500 robot project however.

The general process to getting a Raspberry Pi working is to write an
SD-card using one of the premade images<http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads>,
put it into the Pi, and then hook the Pi up to
monitor/keyboard/mouse/network and plug it in. You log in with username
"pi" password "raspberry", then do "startx" to bring up the graphical
environment (if you want).

The Pi tends to be somewhat slow compared to a desktop and has a very
minimalist set of applications by default, so you'd probably want to
install an application that'd be fun to play with. With the "Raspbian"
images, you can use "apt-get" like Ubuntu. The Arch Linux images are
somewhat faster, but Arch in general requires more power-user knowledge to
get setup and running.

What we've been doing for the robotics project is some facial recognition
using OpenCV, and remotely controlling an Arduino that drives a robot. One
robot is a Roomba, the other robot is a motorized wheelchair base (minus
the chair) that's been reworked to run via Arduino/Pi. Currently they are
manually controlled, our intended goal is to get enough intelligence on the
Pi for them to be capable of a few simple tasks.

- Steven