[Olpc-socal] Friday at SCaLE

Caryl Bigenho caryl at laptop.org
Tue Feb 19 20:36:45 EST 2013

Hi OLPC-SoCal folks and friends from in and out of town,

Friday afternoon we will be setting up the OLPC/Sugar Labs booth in the Expo Hall at the Hilton LAX. The hotel check in time starts at 3 PM, so Ed and I plan to check in then and be down in the exhibit hall by about 3:15 PM on Friday afternoon. You are welcome to come earlier than that, as the hall will open at 1PM. We don't really have that much to set up, but can use the time to get things working… installing software, trying experiments, and the like. Even though there is security, we prefer to keep computers and electronics in our rooms overnight and set that part up in the morning.

I called Denny's this afternoon and they assured me that if we arrive by 5:45 PM we will not need a reservation as that is still part of their "slow time." Those of us at the Exhibit hall will walk over at about 5:30 (allowing 15 min to walk 2 blocks!) and others who are not helping with the booth, but want to join us for dinner can meet us at Denny's at 5:30 PM. Parking at Denny's is limited but free (free is good). Parking at the Hilton is expensive. I am attaching the info and a map for dinner to this email. If you plan to come, but haven't let me know, please send and email.

I haven't found a good place for Saturday evening yet. I guess we can discuss that Friday. Or, if anyone has a good idea of a great place to go, let me know! We can send out an email on Saturday morning with details.

There are many great evening activities back at SCaLE at the hotel. I think you probably have to be registered to attend these. You can see what they are by looking at the SCaLE 11X website. Friday evening one of the events is called UpSCaLE. Tony Anderson and I will be doing a "speed" talk (20 slides in 5 minutes) about MOOCs and an OLPC/Sugar project we, and 9 others from around the world, planned as our team project for a MOOC class we took, online, this fall.

This is going to be a fun weekend! Hope to see you there.
Caryl
P.S. If I missed anyone that isn't on the olpc-SoCal list, be sure to forward this.Thanks!