[Olpc-socal] SCaLE 10X Recap

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 25 12:15:39 EST 2012

Hi Everyone and a warm welcome to 27 new members on our olpcSoCal mailing list!

If you missed SCaLE 10X this past weekend, you missed a great conference!  OLPC and Sugar Labs had a large presence there with an Upscale slide-talk about volunteering on Friday night, two presentations in the OSSIE track, one about SoaS by Caryl Bigenho and one about an after school Contributors Program project in LA by Abe Kazemzadeh, and, of course,  a great booth in the Expo hall on Saturday and Sunday.

With a total of 11 volunteers from the olpcSoCal mailing list, the booth was almost like an "Annual Meeting"!  On Saturday we had 3 people come down from UCSB to help, Hannah Anderson, Greg Dreshler, and Patrick Koperwas. They were joined by Ed and Caryl Bigenho, Danny Hembree, Raj Baberwal, Kenneth Wyrick, and an out-of-towner, George Hunt, from New York (and San Francisco). Sunday's booth crew included Ed and Caryl, Raj, Kenneth, and George, plus Candy Tanamachi and Shirley Nakatsuru and a friend of Kenneth's. Bert Freudenberg also stopped by for a little while on Saturday.

George brought 2 developer XO-1.75s, Danny brought a solar panel, and Caryl brought a hand crank so folks could see and try the latest hardware.  We didn't have an XO-3, but we did have the next best thing: Bert Freudenberg lent us his touchscreen XO-1.75 (developers machine) for the show. We put it in book reader position so the keyboard was covered and it emulated the new tablet quite nicely.  On Sunday we noticed it ran for 7 hours straight without being plugged in and was still going strong when we packed up the booth at the end of the show!

Other features of our booth included a hands-on table with 6 XO-1.5s (including one HS) for folks to play with, a 19" TV/DVD machine playing a continuously looping (silent) slideshow about OLPC deployments around the world, and a SoaS "Creation Station" where we burned Live CDs of SoaS Pineapple.

Final stats for the weekend:  11 "official" booth volunteers, 27 new mailing list members, 30+ Pineapple Live CDs distributed, 150+ "business" cards with up to date useful links on the back distributed.

Thanks to everyone who helped make this happen!  Hope to see even more of you there next year.

Caryl