[Olpc-socal] OLPC for research project?

Danny Iland iland at cs.ucsb.edu
Sat Feb 4 17:04:02 EST 2012

I'm a UCSB PhD student studying Computer Science, taking a graduate
course in Mobile Networking. My partner and I want to make an
application for a disaster or crisis that will use the mesh network on
the XO. Our goal is to enable people with XO laptops, and those around
them, to communicate with search and rescue personnel, aid
organizations, and each other in the event of a disaster. We want to
develop a delay-tolerant peer to peer application utilizing the mesh
networking functionality of XOs, so messages can be forwarded from one
machine to another, hopefully reaching the recipient or an XO
connected to the Internet. Messages that reach the Internet can be
displayed on a map, a model successfully used in Haiti by Ushahidi. If
anyone in the Santa Barbara or Los Angeles area has an XO they could
let us use for the next month or two, please send me an email! I would
really appreciate it.

Thank you,
Danny Iland
iland at cs.ucsb.edu