[Olpc-socal] olpc-SoCal XO Library Ready to Lend!

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Sat May 21 02:35:19 EDT 2011

Good News!

We finally have enough XO computers to start an olpc-SoCal lending library!  Here are the details so far...

We have some XO-1.5 machines that have added to the stock for our new olpc-SoCal lending library that could be checked out for several months to folks who would like to try their hand at developing software for the XO. There are also several XO-1s that came from my "Roadshow in a Box" project that can be checked out.  And, there is a possibility we may also receive a few Spanish keyboard XO-1s.

So far we haven't settled on a "home" for the library. The folks at UCSB expressed an interest, but haven't made a commitment yet.  It would be great to find a place that is centrally located, but until then, we can still check them out to folks. I'll do the inventory and paper work to get us started.  However, I will be leaving at the end of the month for the summer, so I would need to check them out to folks next week or next weekend. The first loan period would run from now until sometime in October unless someone else volunteers to handle the check-in/out process.

So.... here are some possible uses...

XO-1.5s for Developers to use:  Do we have any Python programmers on the list who might be interested in helping develop Sugar Activities for the XO and for use on other computers (such as part of Sugar On A Stick)?  (Be sure to see the "P.S." below)

For example, there is one particular Activity that has been started in Uruguay dealing with the history and geography of all of the Americas.  They have a pretty good start on the general stuff and specifics for their own country, but could use help with the rest.  It is currently in Spanish, so some translations into English would be helpful too.  Perhaps we could have a team here to help with the project.
Of course, if you already have an idea for an Activity, this is your chance to try it!

XO-1s for Educators/Parents/ etc:  Our XO-1s are running the latest version of Sugar and include the dual-boot into a Gnome desktop which will run "grown-up" programs like Open Office.  If you have a neat idea you would like to try with one or two XOs, we can check them out as long as the supply lasts!  All we ask is that you keep us up to date on what you are doing, what works well, what doesn't, neat ideas for using the XO, etc.
XO-1s for Hardware Hackers: Due to its unique hardware features, there is a wide variety of things that can be added on the XO to do measurements and other interesting things with sensors.  The folks in Uruguay have done some fascinating things with them.  Replicating and documenting their work with instructions that would allow students to do some of the same things would make a great project.

If you are interested in borrowing one or more of these machines for several months, please send me a private reply to this email telling me what you would like to borrow and what you plan to do with it. That way, I can try to match the machines with the people in the most fair and efficient way.

We can talk more about how and when we can make connections to get the machines to you after we know who is interested.  Perhaps several of us could meet somewhere in the SF Valley some afternoon or evening late next week to do it.

Let me know what you are interested in!  If there is too much demand, we can probably work out some sort of sharing process. We'll worry about that when it happens!

Caryl  OLPC Support Volunteer
P.S. If you want to write Sugar programs for the XO, James Simmons ebook "Make Your Own Sugar Activities" has just become available for download from Amazon.  It costs 99 cents and Amazon has the Kindle software available to download for just about any electronic device you can think of... computers, iPhones, Androids, etc.  Of course, you can still access it free on the FLOSS manual site, but the Amazon version is "prettier." Here are a few links for you:
Here's a live link to the ebook:http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Sugar-Activities-ebook/dp/B0050VAHKW/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1
Kindle downloads are at:Mac  http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_cn?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200438360PC http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_cn?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200388510iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_cn?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200298460Android Phone http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_cn?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200495290Windows Phone http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_cn?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200556940If you want to try the free FLOSS manual version, you can find it at: http://en.flossmanuals.net/make-your-own-sugar-activities/