[Olpc-socal] ReCap of OLPC/Sugar Labs Event in Uruguay (with links)

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Tue May 17 22:55:49 EDT 2011

Hi all you SoCal OSSIE fans,

The OLPC/Sugar Labs event in Montevideo Uruguay was really worth the trip. Thanks to the internet and the efforts of some of the attendees, I can share part of the experience with you.

The first few days were spent visiting schools around the country to see how the Sugar software and XO laptops were actually being used in the schools.  Some of us made a group blog about the event that can give you an idea of some of the things we saw and did.  Here is a link to the blog:

http://olpcuruguay2011.wordpress.com/

Friday and Saturday were devoted to a more formal conference with presentations. One attendee, Chris Ball, actually took video of 17 of the talks, which you can view here:

http://blog.printf.net/articles/2011/05/14/edujam-2011

I hope you have time to look at some of this and share a "taste" of the event.  There was a lot of wonderful information there.

In the next day or two I will be sending 2 other emails in addition to this one.  One will be about progress on getting a real OLPC-socal XO lending library, the other will be about the possibility of starting an "official" Sugar Labs SoCal.  I am sending them separately to make it easier to keep track of your responses.

I hope many of you will be interested in getting involved with these 2 projects.  Please read and respond with comments and suggestions about your interest.

Caryl