[Olpc-socal] I need help understanding how to use a few activities.

Phil Landfried landfriedphil at gmail.com
Mon May 2 14:40:00 EDT 2011

They can take a picture of themselves and put it into the Write
Application and type something.
They can compose a tune with Tim Tam.

If you have internet access you can go to www.internet4classrooms.com
and go to Grade Level Link. Choose a standard and an activity to
reinforce that standard. Some will work and some will not depending on
whether you have Flash or Shockwave plugins.

There is a draw program also called Paint I think.

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Lori Barfield <itdirector at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi, phil.  just btw i just received my batch of XOs last week and am
> going through embryonic mode right now as well.
>
> we took a couple of them on a field trip to the mojave desert last
> weekend (which is cold this time of year).  since i had had no time to
> learn the system myself, i just let the kids explore them with no
> instruction and no structured lessons.  the two activities the kids
> played with most were the maze app and the voice app.  sound effects
> came a distant third (music does not spontaneously happen, it seems).
> since there was no internet out there, i think if i knew how to get
> the radios to work then the messaging app would have also been
> popular.  now that they are comfortable with the devices, of course
> the next step is to give them activities that are meaningful, and
> those need direction.
>
> however, my first challenge is deciding what to demonstrate to parents
> *this afternoon*.  if anyone has any suggestions for that, and for a
> good first parent/child activity, i'm all ears. :-)
>
> ...lori

Phil Landfried
Montessori Center
Mountain View, and Cleveland