[Olpc-socal] I need help understanding how to use a few activities.

Lori Barfield itdirector at gmail.com
Mon May 2 14:07:04 EDT 2011

hi, phil.  just btw i just received my batch of XOs last week and am
going through embryonic mode right now as well.

we took a couple of them on a field trip to the mojave desert last
weekend (which is cold this time of year).  since i had had no time to
learn the system myself, i just let the kids explore them with no
instruction and no structured lessons.  the two activities the kids
played with most were the maze app and the voice app.  sound effects
came a distant third (music does not spontaneously happen, it seems).
since there was no internet out there, i think if i knew how to get
the radios to work then the messaging app would have also been
popular.  now that they are comfortable with the devices, of course
the next step is to give them activities that are meaningful, and
those need direction.

however, my first challenge is deciding what to demonstrate to parents
*this afternoon*.  if anyone has any suggestions for that, and for a
good first parent/child activity, i'm all ears. :-)

...lori