[Olpc-socal] Can We Meet Sat Oct 15, 2011?

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 19 00:06:12 EDT 2011

Hi Folks,

It's time to have a get-together!  A lot of list members are doing interesting things with Open Source Software in education.  I am hoping we can have an informal meeting somewhere (fairly central) where we can have folks share a little bit about what they are doing and do a little "show and tell" where appropriate.

We can also talk a little bit about SCaLE 10X which comes a month early than usual in 2012, at the end of January.  We may be able to help make the OSSIE day a big success.

So, looking at the calendar, it appears Saturday October 15 might be a good day. For one thing, neither UCLA nor USC has a game that day!  It is also the week before the big OLPC "Summit" in San Francisco.  I would love to be able to go there with lots of great stories to share about what is happening in the Southland.

So, here is what I need from you all...

Please check your calendars for October 15 and see if you would be able to go.  Then think about where we might meet.... perhaps a library, park, school, church, or restaurant.  It would probably be easiest to avoid lunch and end early enough for Saturday night activities, so perhaps 1 pm to 3 or 3:30pm would be good.  We can round up the library XOs and have them for children to play with so you wouldn't have to get a sitter. A room with tables and chairs would be nice. A way to project slides could be good too. (Does anyone have one of those cute little projectors that you can use to throw the image from your computer up on a wall?)

Send a reply to this email indicating the following:

Your name

Can you attend a get-together on Sat Oct 15? (choose one)
Definitely
Probably
Maybe
Nope

Would you like to bring your family, friends, or anyone else (to give an idea of how many we might have)?  How many children?

Would you like to share something interesting you are doing with Open Source Software in Education with all of us? (choose one)
Definitely
Probably
Maybe
Nope

If your answer is any one of the first 3 choices... what is your project about?

Please think about any possible meeting places you know of that are fairly central. Let's avoid the South Bay area... traffic is impossible. Perhaps somewhere along the 210 in the Pasadena/Arcadia area.  The freeways in that area usually move along pretty well.
Any suggestions for a place to meet?

Let's make this happen!

Caryl