[OLPC-SF] What would you say to a Haiti schoolmaster to interest them in OLPC?

Holt holt at laptop.org
Sat Apr 20 15:36:11 EDT 2013

Huge question!  A school's principal/headmaster must be deeply committed
to laptop learning of one sort or another, or you will face trouble --
to put it mildly.

Just as a point of ref, George Hunt (with Anna Schoolfield's help)
created a solid little Haiti build last month, based on OLPC Release
11.3.1 and Sugar Activities we trained folks around, over almost 3 weeks
in Haiti.  We'd love more Creole but quality
translations/literature/Activities are hard to come by.  So for now we
went with 40+ French books, Fototoon, WikipediaFR, Etoys (TuxPaint at
times) etc.  This was reflashed onto almost 240 XO-1s in Haiti last
month, which are progressively being introduced to Port-au-Prince area
schools and orphanages.

See olpcMAP below (Grand Goave, Haiti and the northern part of
Port-au-Prince) for snapshots and brief blog posts if curious. You're
asking the most profoundly hard question, as I'm sure you're aware :)

Child in Hand is paying trainer/mentors to do this critical
implementation work in Haiti, similar to what the Waveplace Foundation
did in the past, if you are interested in paying these same Haitian
implementors in Port-au-Prince and nearby to do some consulting for you,
I can certainly connect you, as I speak with them on a weekly basis --
and yes Haitian do in fact need jobs not just computers :)

--
Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net !