[Olpc-sf] Database corruption issues evidence?

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 00:10:14 EST 2008

In case you folks didn't see this slashdot story yet, I thought I would post
it here:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/08/01/25/0625206.shtml

PCWMike <http://pcworld.com/> writes to tell us about the growing concern
over the failure of OLPC to deliver
laptops<http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,141790/article.html>to some
of its customers. PC World editor-in-chief Harry McCracken notes
that record-keeping was
poor<http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/006361.html>for some of
the people who paid via PayPal. A report on LinuxJournal also
suggests that customer information was
lost<http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/olpc-crisis-customer-data-lost>due
to errors in the database software used by OLPC. Quoting PC World:
*"OLPC spokesperson Jackie Lustig acknowledges problems with the ordering
and the fulfillment process, but says the biggest challenges are a short
supply of XO laptops and the organization's ability to meet consumer demand
for the XO laptop. Some also wonder whether chronic delivery problems for
Give One, Get One donors may bode poorly for the 15 countries slated to
receive nearly 500,000 XO notebooks. Lustig says delivering in bulk to just
over a dozen countries is infinitely simpler than processing and delivering
80,000 individual laptops."*

My apologies if someone has already posted this link to this list.