[OLPC-Philippines] OLPC-Philippines:What is your vision and values?

Cherry Withers cherry.withers at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 12:48:07 EDT 2009

I agree with James on this:

"Also, I try to stay out of religious discussions and I think we should,
too"

--->>> So maybe the inclusive clause should probably be massaged or just
taken out
all together.  Just a caveat: "Filipino Youth" was changed to "children of
the Philippines"
because we now have a growing immigrant population. "Children (18 and under
in the Philippines)" vs.
"Youth" because Youth has a political connotation and can still also apply
for 18 & 35 (I hope, I
still feel youthful) yrs. age group.
.
I would like to keep "Open source" in the language. Sugar is open source and
so are its applications.
At the risk of angering publishing companies, I will also mention that
there's now a push for e-textbooks
(open source) that are interactive with the sugar Apps. Though it's still in
its infancy/planning stage one can see the potential
for providing content to cash strapped barrios/communities in the
Philippines. So say if a child
is reading about the national hero Jose Rizal, activity suggestions are
within the text to guide them into
critical thinking: "What does it mean to have freedom? What if people don't
have it? Go to one of these activities to do a storyboard or collaborate
with a friend on an essay".

James I also tried to do a search on the web for Sugar vs. Windows articles
but didn't find anthing with a compelling discussion that I would recommend.
But the XO works really well with Sugar because it's hardware lightweight,
it's free, and it has the collaboration program built in that works really
well with XOs mesh network. Some of the apps (like Squeak Etoys) also run on
Windows, but you'd have to pay for royalties to run the OS. Those are the
things I can see of the bat, but perhaps  Caroline can chime in on this.

--Cherry