[OLPC-Philippines] Mailing list traffic and other stuff (short and straight)

Jerome Gotangco jgotangco at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 07:35:19 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Three things (I'm sending this as list manager):

(1) Replying to threads - Let's make sure to preserve the subject line
and not hijack and just say the same thing. It is very, very confusing
to catch up on discussion threads when various subject lines are used
for the same topic being replied to.  It makes email filters not work
as they should (gmail for instance, along with ALL email clients), not
to mention mess up archives like this:
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/olpc-philippines/2009-June/ . I am
subscribed to 10+ mailing lists of various interests and everything is
being filtered and categorized whenever they come into my mailbox so
imagine if 100+ emails come to you everyday, a mix of personal, family
and developer emails in 1 mailbox and already automated. Others may
not have the same setup, but threads are VERY important.

(2) Corollary to (1), there is no sense to include every previous
email being sent when replying because that's the function of the
thread as long as the subject line is not changed. If there is a need
to change the subject line it could be because of two things (a) you
want to fork the discussion and start a new one of an different
subject matter or related to the first except that the new one needs a
new thread for discussion and (b) you are strong tendency to disagree
with the the topic being discussed and it requires a different subject
line.

(3) Finally, this is a public forum, everything sent here is available
publicly in the archive so let us make sure we use this list properly
for the benefit of the 98 people subscribed.

thanks!

Jerome