[OLPC-Philippines] Short and Simple Vision/ Mission

Charles Chen ideasman88 at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 15 06:40:12 EDT 2009

Hi James,

While I have often been a big picture man who looks for the vision and
mission statement in the organisation I work to see whether we are
aligned in our goals (most often we are not), these things matter.
However, in our particular case, I think we should keep it short and
simple.

So for the OLPC Philippine Foundation I am organising this is its
vision and mission statement will be limited to this "To implement the
spirit of the One Laptop Per Child program as envisioned by Nicholas
Negroponte in the Philippine education system. This will through the
creation of educational opportunities for the
country's disadvantaged children by providing each child with a rugged,
low-cost, low-powered, connected laptop (the XO) using cost efficient
hardware and
software have been designed especially for kids."

I don't know what the future has for us so I cannot predict what
application after Sugar or what new configuration the new model XO-2
will require. Like you, I just would like to concentrate on the here
and now and get a school pilot with the current XO model using Sugar.
When we are successful doing this and have been able to replicate this
throughout the country, is what drives me to do this now. Implementing
the OLPC program is already a leapfrog step from using paper and
pencils so if I can be successful doing this now I would still be happy
of the achievement even by the time this is attained laptops and PC
will be touch screen based and will use some trend setting software. I
will still be happy because the target beneficiaries given their
economic status will not be able to have the ability to get something
better than the XO we will give them now.

Thanks.

Charles

Note: My apologies if I have any grammatical errors in my email. I always proof read my emails before sending but sometimes my thoughts are faster than my fingers. For any urgent clarification please call me on +61 40406 4515. Thank you and have a nice day.

  Please consider our environment before printing this email.
WARNING - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please delete and inform us by return email. Because emails and attachments may be interfered with, may contain computer viruses or other defects and may not be successfully replicated on other systems, you must be cautious. We cannot guarantee that what you receive is what we sent. If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email by us, please contact us immediately. It is also important to check for viruses and defects before opening or using attachments. We disclaim any liability to any person for loss or damage either directly or indirectly from the receipt of any emails including any attachments.

      Need a Holiday? Win a $10,000 Holiday of your choice. Enter now.http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJxN2x2ZmNpBF9zAzIwMjM2MTY2MTMEdG1fZG1lY2gDVGV4dCBMaW5rBHRtX2xuawNVMTEwMzk3NwR0bV9uZXQDWWFob28hBHRtX3BvcwN0YWdsaW5lBHRtX3BwdHkDYXVueg--/SIG=14600t3ni/**http%3A//au.rd.yahoo.com/mail/tagline/creativeholidays/*http%3A//au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset/%3Fp1=other%26p2=au%26p3=mailtagline