[Olpc-philippines] Introduction

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Thu Oct 18 13:28:04 EDT 2007

> Well, I'm up and emulating the XO fairly easily on my WinXP box ... QEMU,
> KQEMU and the latest build from the XO devs.

Sweet. That'll be good for getting the feel of Sugar from an end-user
perspective, and for testing some activities (mesh, camera, and some
other things won't function for obvious reasons) and getting the feel of
the environment. Congratulations! Next: setting up a development
environment with Fedora (or Ubuntu) so you can hack it.

> Regarding the spare partition, by "what's that" I meant "leave drive space
> unallocated, are you nuts?"

Yup. :-P (I'm one of Those People with larger-than-they-need hard drives
on their "break me!" machines so they can be luxuriously sloppy in
allocating partitions. Yes, it's a bad habit. But those machines usually
end up getting wiped and reinstalled once a month or so anyway.)

> <stuff about QA and testing>

for those interested,

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Test_issues
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Test_process_sprint

It sounds like Rowen (who, I believe, is also on this list) was at the
sprint. He might have more to say about the testing issues.

> Can you point me to where I can download and install any extra activities
> that we might have?  Or, are we to that point yet?

You guessed it: [[Activities]]
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities)
Click on an individual activity's page to find info about it, including
links to download.

-Mel