[Olpc-open] Video Editing + OLPC

Jonathan Thomas jonathan at openshot.org
Thu Feb 27 12:21:52 EST 2014

Hi Adam,
Thanks for the info. The biggest difference between OpenShot and Mike's
project, is that OpenShot is already a widely used video editing
application, and is being used by educators all over the world to teach
kids the basics of video editing. For example, in India, somewhere between
500,000 and 1,000,000 students are taught OpenShot in schools each year. In
fact, at SCALE 12x, a 12 year old girl gave a presentation on how to use
OpenShot. =)  It's simple and fun for kids.

I think OpenShot would be a great fit for the OLPC project... and I'm
willing to donate my time and support to the project if you guys are
interested.

I don't know very much about the hardware, so please excuse my ignorance.
=) But, whichever model is the most widely used would probably be a great
starting point. Also, getting a refurbished one as part of your
Contributors program sounds like a great idea. I can ship it back to you
once things are working nicely.

Thanks!
-Jonathan

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 10:36 AM, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Jonathan Thomas <jonathan at openshot.org>wrote:
>
>> Greetings! I spoke to a nice gentleman at SCALE 12x (sorry, can't
>> remember his name) about bringing OpenShot Video Editor<http://www.openshot.org/>to OLPC, and making some improvements so kids are able to edit videos that
>> are taken with the built-in video camera on the laptops.
>>
>> I am the lead developer for OpenShot, and just wanted to officially offer
>> my support and time to OLPC. Running a video editor on a low memory laptop
>> is a challenge, but I feel confident that we could add a "low memory"
>> setting to OpenShot, or something similar, so kids could effectively run it
>> and edit their videos.
>>
>> The only thing I need to get started, is a OLPC laptop, so I can debug
>> OpenShot on it and see what changes need to be made. Anyway, I would love
>> to help out OLPC if this is something that you feel would be a good fit.
>> Just let me know what the next step is. =)
>>

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Plz review Mike Jutan's very similar work @
> http://jutanclan.blogspot.com/search/label/OLPC and consider whether you
> want an XO-1 or XO-4 Touch laptop?
>
> XO-1 laptops are available for about $100+ on eBay; whereas if you need
> the latest XO-4 Touch laptops contact me privately.
>
> Finally, in some special situations, XO-1 laptops are available free from
> our volunteer-run Contributors Program here:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Contributors
>
> Cheers & Thanks!
> Adam
>
> --