[Olpc-open] Video Editing + OLPC

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Thu Feb 27 12:48:03 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Jonathan Thomas <jonathan at openshot.org>wrote:

> Hi Adam,
> Thanks for the info. The biggest difference between OpenShot and Mike's
> project, is that OpenShot is already a widely used video editing
> application, and is being used by educators all over the world to teach
> kids the basics of video editing. For example, in India, somewhere between
> 500,000 and 1,000,000 students are taught OpenShot in schools each year. In
> fact, at SCALE 12x, a 12 year old girl gave a presentation on how to use
> OpenShot. =)  It's simple and fun for kids.
>
> I think OpenShot would be a great fit for the OLPC project... and I'm
> willing to donate my time and support to the project if you guys are
> interested.
>
> I don't know very much about the hardware, so please excuse my ignorance.
> =) But, whichever model is the most widely used would probably be a great
> starting point. Also, getting a refurbished one as part of your
> Contributors program sounds like a great idea. I can ship it back to you
> once things are working nicely.
>
> Thanks!
> -Jonathan

Sounds great Jonathan:

Plz just apply to borrow a refurb'd XO-1 from
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Contributors_program and make sure to cover the
shipping costs (around $10).  Your project sounds like it will very likely
be approved.  Of course, please review XO-1 specs first, as the challenge
of 6-year-old hardware can be severe when those driving under the influence
of iPad/Samsung set their ambitions too high :)

The advantage of the XO-1 platform is that the roughly 2 million such
laptops in circulation far outnumber XO-1.5s, XO-1.75s and XO-4 Touch
laptops to date.  If it's a borderline case where you're not sure XO-1 will
work out, consult with Jon Nettleton, whose recent graphics work for
XO-1.75 and XO-4 Touch laptops is expected in March:

   MX6 desktop graphics
   http://youtu.be/xXhzkrwxYwU

--
http://olpcMAP.net