[Olpc-open] XO donation (was Re: Olpc-open Digest, Vol 19, Issue 16)

Michael Burns maburns at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 19:18:35 EST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 4:48 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2008 3:51 AM, Jay Gassman <jdgassman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to donate the XO I received back to OLPC?--JDG
>
> Your first task is to make contact with Give One Get One.

Making "contact with Give One Get One" is a bit of an open-ended statement.
The best place to ask the help at laptop.org email address. Emails to that
alias are managed in large part by the Support Gang, a 50+ team of
volunteers that work endlessly to answer those types of questions.

> They do not respond well to e-mail, and they do not have enough people to
> answer the phones, so that is difficult.

The "not respond well to e-mail" was part of the growing pains in getting
this gang start (all hail the tireless Adam Holt for organizing us as
quickly as he has) but isn't true anymore. We have very quick turn-around
times--often under 24 hours--now that we are catching our breath on incoming
requests. This is a result of the rapidly improving quality of the wiki (
http://wiki.laptop.org) documentation and the wider use of the support forum
(http://olpc.osuosl.org/). Most questions can be answered there (and in that
order) which lets the Support Gang focus on the trickier, "tier 3" support
questions and other non-obvious issues donors run into.

Cheers!

--
Michael Burns * Student
Open Source {Education} Lab