[Olpc-open] Great article about kids repairing their XO's in Nigeria

Mel Chua metamel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 10:58:46 EST 2008

Yep, I decapitated my XO and filmed the results... here's a video.
http://www.archive.org/details/HeadlessXo

Josh and other folks on the Open list - we'd love input and collaboration on
repair centers. Right now we're at a loss for business plans - while it may
be some time before there's a way to supply them consistently with parts, a
pilot repair shop is being set up about an hour outside Boston to test some
variants of infrastructures (without being impossibly far for the 1cc people
to get to in case of Massive Questions), and they could use feedback and
suggestions, and if other repair shops draft up business plans they can
start figuring out how to collaborate between shops, what kinds of things
OLPC needs to supply them with and what (as much as possible) they can
figure out and get on their own.

*These pages are all community-contributed drafts. They are ideas and
discussions and do not necessarily reflect the situation or views of OLPC
the organization - just those of its grassroots volunteers.

*That disclaimer having been said...

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Repair for an overview of the current discussion,
and how you can help - specifically,
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Repair_centers.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Olin_repair_center for the very-alpha-pilot going
up in Needham, MA (cc'd here is Nikki Lee, the head of the college chapter
coordinating this).

Feedback, input, discussion - all incredibly welcome. These pages will be
changing *very* rapidly over the next few weeks, and we welcome your help in
that transformation. ;-)

And if you do break your XO, try to fix it - it's all part of the hands-on
learning experience. There are community-contributed tutorials on the wiki,
and mailing lists, the support-gang, forums, the help chat (
http://forum.laptop.org/chat) and support-gang (help at laptop dot org),
your local grassroots groups and hacker friends, and plenty of other
resources out there to advise and cheer you on. Sometimes you learn more
from fixing things when they break than you do in any other way.

-Mel
support-gang volunteer