[Olpc-open] FW: olpc and anti-corruption

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 14:20:00 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 8:32 AM, Mike Dawson <mike at paiwastoon.com.af> wrote:
> I think the problem is how would you be able to build trust in a society
>  where law and order does not exist to the extent required?
>

>  1. How do you stop people from entering false data (form of corruption)
>  - be that false positive info or false negative info?

I think Google could answer that question. It is an essential part of
their pagerank algorithm. Also ask any e-commerce company that writes
its own software, like Amazon, eBay, Overstock.com, how they manage to
keep their ratings honest.

>  2. How do you stop people who are willing to use violence against those
>  who enter negative comments against them (be they true or not)

Put the video up on YouTube? We need that function for zones of
combat, civil disturbances, genocide, etc. Although that means that
any camera or any device with a camera built in (like cell phones)
would become a target.

For the theoretical background to this question, see The Evolution of
Cooperation, by Robert Axelrod. A practical example is the history of
the Quaker revolution in commerce.

>  Regards,
>

>  -Mike
>

>  Carolyn Turbyfill wrote:
>
>  >
>  > I think the point is they wouldn't want to - so that the requirement
>  > of authentication would be a deterrent.
>  > Still - there are also people who will work to defeat any
>  > authentication for fun or profit - so yes - corrupt people would play too.
>  >
>  >
>  > Carolyn Turbyfill
>  > cturbyfill at mac.com <mailto:cturbyfill at mac.com>