[Olpc-open] [Edu-sig] OLPC G1G1 sales start today

John Kintree jkintree at swbell.net
Thu Nov 15 10:37:02 EST 2007

François Schnell <francois.schnell at gmail.com> wrote:The best way to avoid a danger is to know its existence.
So, only kamikaze people don't re-evaluate the situation when rushing
towards the wall.
How do you know the OLPC project is "rushing towards the wall?"  Do you know what the response to the G1G1 initiative has been so far?

 The project has altered course already.  Selling the XO laptops in North America as soon as mass production began was not part of the original plan.  Eliminating all restrictions on sales of the XO laptops may be something that the project is considering.  How do you know it is not?

 We could play with some numbers.  Suppose the number of XO laptops ordered through the G1G1 initiative is 10,000 (x2)  or less.  That would indicate hitting the wall.  Time to change course.

 Suppose the number of XO laptops ordered through the G1G1 initiative is near 100,000 (x2).  Would that be hitting the wall?   That level of interest by relatively wealthy Americans might help convince some of the national departments of education that ordering XO laptops is not a sign of settling for something inferior.

 Suppose the number of XO laptops ordered through the G1G1 initiative is near 1,000,000 (x2).  That might indicate leaping over the wall.

 I don't know.  I appreciate your passion, and resonate with it to a large degree.  It just seems to me that we need to see what happens with the G1G1 initiative before concluding that this is a kamikaze mission.
 Regards,
 John Kintree