[Olpc-open] Re: open purchases --Olpc-open Digest, Vol 8, Issue 4

John Kintree jkintree at swbell.net
Sat Jan 13 23:05:59 EST 2007

I think a spokesperson from Quanta Computer Corp. made a statement a couple of months ago that they had the capacity to build 10 million OLPC laptops within twelve months of the beginning of mass production.  So, one or two million additional laptops ordered through an open purchase process would not interfere with the delivery of the five million laptops designated for the first round of participating countries.

There are some smart people working on this.  If engineers can optimize the power management and other technical aspects of the laptops, a way to optimize the ordering and delivery of laptops even for individuals can be found.  One optimization would be encouraging organizations and institutions to place bulk purchases.  If I could help organize a collective order for at least a thousand units in my community, the value of the laptops would be increased in a number of ways, one of which would be the mesh wireless network we would create with each other.

BTW, another idea I like is that of becoming a "pen pal" with a child in another part of the world.  That would be an education for me.
John Kintree
http://home.swbell.net/jkintree/islt/