[Olpc-open] Awkward position of Network Computer in China

xuan wu wuxuan.ecios at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 12:58:01 EST 2007

I don't know if OLPC knows this, but I just came across this site:
http://www.shunz.net/2006/12/anti_olpc_on_china.html

Even if you don't understand Chinese, the numbers and configuration of the
server may give you some clues. Below is some digest.

About two years ago(that's in 2004), Beijing invested lots of money to build
one classroom of "Network Computer" for almost every primary school at the
villages which cost about 500,000 Yuan each, but the classrooms was hardly
been used and all the machine rooms have been dismantled.

The article didn't mention whether the NCs were running Linux or Windows,
but the fact is, many Chinese students don't know linux until they get into
university and all the computer lessons taught before college are based on
software on Windows as far as I know. I can imagin if the kids find problems
using laptops from OLPC, there'll be hardly anyone they know who can answer
them.

Even if the government invested so much, there was little good to see. Here
the questions pop out"what the big difference between this OLPC and our own
NC?  The history told us that even better hardwares did our children no much
good, why should we waste on this again? Even the laptops seems much
cheaper, we still can find lots of other ways to spend money!"

There must be many reasons for the  computers left unused, but I think the
pressure of living is one of them. Pupils are taught to fight for better
marks as primary goal ever since they get into school, because the parents
want them to live happier and easier than themselves. Maybe it'll be a long
time before most of the society realize that the children's lives shouldn't
be so hard from the start.

Below is the configuration of a typical NC from China:(
http://www.e9898.com/info/img_xiangxi.asp?id=2720)
NC2000
CPU Arca-2
OS built-in Linux
Internal memory 128M
Display 1024*768*16bit,75Hz,3D graphic accelerator
Sound card AC'97 6 tracks
Network 10/100M
I/O interface Two COM, one LPT, two USB, PS/2 keyboard and mouse
Pressure 180-260V, 110±10%V, 50Hz
Rating power 16W
Size 50*245*280mm
Net weight 2.1kg