[OLPC New Zealand] Maori Localization

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 13:54:26 EDT 2013

As a number of the issues noted by the NZ testing crew have to do with a
need for additional (or improved) Maori translation, I was wondering if
there was anyone in NZ or OZ that feels like helping to recruit Maori L10n
volunteers?

We have plenty of work for them:
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/mi/

I understand that Barry had gone out-of-pocket for the L10n we currently
have, but in the end of the day, we really need to build a sustainable and
active Maori L10n team of volunteers to keep the strings current and
address issues as they arise.

I simply can't do this on my own, but if someone is brave enough to
cold-contact Maori translators and try to recruit them to volunteer, I have
attached a list of certified Maori translators that I found on a website a
while back.

I don't want to step on OLPC-AU's toes or interfere with any efforts they
might have underway, and I know it is not easy to get people to give away
something they get paid to do (translate), but there has to be a chance
that someone on the attached list will embrace what OLPC is trying to do in
Maori and be willing to donate some of their precious time and skill.  It
is a matter of developing a compelling story in the request for their help
and actually asking them.

If any localizers are recruited, they will need to contact me (
cjl at sugarlabs.org or cjl at laptop.org) with a preferred username so I can set
up an account on Pootle for the m.  We used to have self-service sign-on,
but some nasty forum spamming robots had started creating and activating
accounts, so we had to revert to manual registration to protect our
precious translations.

Is there anyone willing to step up to make the ask (assuming OLPC-OZ
doesn't say no)?

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team coordinator