[OLPC New Zealand] [olpc-nz] Sugar in the south

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Sat Jun 18 07:31:44 EDT 2011

On 18 June 2011 13:46, nathaN P <rekrapenator at gmail.com> wrote:

> Tabitha - we are fortunate to have some experts living here in the south. I
> am never sure about who has what skills and am somewhat reticent of asking
> too much of people - hence list type requests give the option of an easy
> delete.

Yes, lists are the better option, more people so more likely to get a
response and not rely on one busy person. But I thought I should mention
locals in case they are passing by and you want them to look at what you are
doing in the classroom.

Is the Sugar group still meeting in Auckland?

 We still meet - Saturdays at 11am, Windsor 144 Parnell Rise.

At the moment Warrington students and Dunlug are putting together 10
> computers for a school in PNG and want to be able to provide as many
> computer variables as possible.

There are several olpc deployments in PNG. I believe some people have had
some training in linux to support them, and I think that a local University
might also be involved. But the best people to update us on that is Ian
Thomson (olpc Pacific Coordinator) or David Leeming (he does a lot of
training and setup for Pacific area and often puts notes and training
material on wikieducator) or even Michael Hutak (oceania director) and they
can probably put you in touch with people. There is some information on
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Papua_New_Guinea

All machines will run Ubuntu, we hope to have a few Wikipedia DVDs and some
> Sugar CDs to add to the mix.
> I have a group of students who are hooked on Sugar - especially the physics
> programme - an amazing application. Also the Wikipedia DVD has appealed to
> some of my pupils who have no Internet access at home.

Tom is a physicist and also really likes the Physics activity.

We found Schools Wikipedia http://schools-wikipedia.org/ useful for putting
on a school server -- the students accessed it via the browse activity. The
Schools Wikipedia has curriculum appropriate content with images, whereas
the wikipedia activity in Sugar has no pictures. If you're distributing
machines with big enough harddrives, you could include it locally, or on a
server if you're networking the machines in PNG.

If you have a better way to distribute wikipedia on DVD that would be good
to know about. The schools wikipedia was prepared in 2008-2009 so it's get
on a bit.

> The power of Open Source and Creative Commons!!!

Yes, powerful indeed.
Tabitha