[OLPC New Zealand] [Testing] Auckland Testing Summary 18 June 2011

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sat Jun 18 06:44:14 EDT 2011

On 18 June 2011 05:25, Fabiana Kubke <mf.kubke at gmail.com> wrote:
> Present: Nevyn, Fabiana, Tabitha, Tom, Gingernut

Thanks for the testing and great feedback. I've closed some tickets
based on your report:
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10643
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10643

In future I'll try and do a better job of communicating specific areas
we're waiting for testing on (more specifically, confirmation of fixes
like the above), but at the same time we do benefit from your fresh
and unbiased/uninfluenced approach to testing the software so please
be careful not to limit yourselves to only the things we flag up :)

Filed as http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2904

> Help: seems to be for a xo1. Some functions (eg, the scrolling that you get
> by pressing the key with the hand and the trackpad) are not described.
> The central top key that has a series of circles: not clear what that does -
> in some instances it brings up the frame, other times it takes me to the
> circle view. Couldn't figure out, and could not find information in the help

Known issues:
Help is outdated (I think you can update the content on
flossmanuals.net like a wiki if you're interested?)
You're hitting the keybindings for the XO-1.5 high school keyboard on
the circle keys:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_English_Non-membrane_Keyboard
It would be ideal for those not to trigger on the "membrane" keyboards
of course, and we have a ticket for that:
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10534

Filed as http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2905
and http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2906

> Could not create wireless network on either XO-1 or XO-1.5. I think
> http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2488 is no longer relevant – colours
> are no longer recovered from adhoc network names.

What was the issue here? What happens when you try to create a network?

> Measure seems not to suffer from http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2509
> on ivy, but still measures garbage on tank. Tank is an XO-1.5 C2 could
> this be a prototype hardware problem? We only have one production XO 1.5
> so can't check more of those.

Yes, it could be. In general we don't place too much trust in feedback
from non-production machines. You could apply to the contributors
program for another XO-1.5 to help here.

> About me has a new colour icon picker, it is quite strange and confusing
> as to what colours you have picked

CCing Walter, who designed/implemented this.

> keyboard model selection is blank by default in the top drop down even
> though it has “olpc membrane” as an option. Keyboard layout says Akan
> and Akan, Ghana which are top of the list –seems you should pick your
> language there. Keys to change layout says alt+capslock but I dont think
> we have a capslock on an XO do we? Changes do not require a restart.

As you've noticed this dialog is a bit broken and quite
OLPC-inappropriate, we're removing it in the next build.
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10631

> Speak video chat says we are in offline mode even though we are not and
> can see other XO and can write to each other successfully. Robot doesnt
> know anything at all and some replies are not even in English.

Robot is a bit weird like that. I filed a ticket for the sharing
issues: http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2907

> Maze did not share very well, kept closing on both Xos.

Can you gather logs from this from after the crash? You'll find them
in /home/olpc/.sugar/default/loigs

> Memorize – played the three preloaded games, created one basic word game
> which successfully loaded. Did not test collaboration due to previous
> failures with collaboration.

As in, failures with previous builds?
We've done quite a bit of work in this area, if you're biasing
yourself because of previous reports it would be worth restesting. I
don't think we have any known memorize collaboration issues right now.

One minor point: when mentioning build numbers in mails/tickets (e.g.
"os23") please also write the stream name, i.e. "11.2.0 build 23".
It's obvious right now, but would be a bit confusing looking back in
future, because build numbers get reset to zero for new streams, so it
would not be immediately obvious that you are talking about 11.2.0.

Thanks! Very happy to be seeing this feedback :)
Daniel