[olpc-nz] Wellington team recruitment

Stuart A. Yeates syeates at gmail.com
Tue May 4 05:32:57 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 9:02 PM, Tim McNamara <mcnamara.tim at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 7:22 PM, Tabitha Roder <tabitha at tabitha.net.nz>
> wrote:
>>
>> > Our numbers on the weekend sessions are getting quite low. Any thoughts
>> > on
>> > recruitment ideas?

Can I suggest that in the days before a meeting people check that
there's an unequivocal message to the effect of when and where we're
meeting and how to recognise us? Think of it as making it easier for
the lurkers to emerge.

>> How about signs up at Uni particularly education, computing, and
>> languages departments. Some students may be able to call it a "special
>> topic project" and get points for it or something.
>
> This was my rationale behind my question whether I was the only one still at
> uni. I'm down at the School of Goverment, e.g. down by Parliament, rather
> than up the hill with CompSci or at the Faculty of Education.

I'm up the hill in the library.

>> Any events happening presently? Getting XOs in front of people helps.
>> Conferences, talks, exhibitions. Try Te Papa and the art gallery.
>
> Te Papa's an interesting idea. I wonder what they council would say if we
> asked to set up in Civic Square/waterfront and chatted to people as they
> walked past.

Te Papa seems to do fairly aggressive cost recovery for pretty much
everything, in my experience (which to be fair is how they fund
themselves).

cheers
stuart