[olpc-nz] Wellington team recruitment

Tim McNamara mcnamara.tim at gmail.com
Tue May 4 05:02:38 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 7:22 PM, Tabitha Roder <tabitha at tabitha.net.nz>wrote:

> > Our numbers on the weekend sessions are getting quite low. Any thoughts
> on
> > recruitment ideas? Am I the only person in the group who's still at uni?
> > I thought that the Wtgn group could broaden its scope slightly, e.g. into
> > development & translation. This should mean we appeal to a wider group
> than
> > we currently do.

See that's what I get for asking a question, too many great responses!

Does anyone have any time available to help out? I think we should try to
get between 5-8 people there every weekend, which probably means a local
group of about 12-15.

> How about another event with Unlimited Potential? They are an IT
> professionals network and we had an open day last year with their
> members and their families.

Ahh, what do you think Rebecca? I'm more than happy to talk to Paul Spence,
he asked me to be involved with Software Freedom Day, but it looks like
you've sorted things on that front.

> How about an invitation to schools? May find some teachers interested
> in writing lesson plans, if not for NZ then for Pacific deployments
> which often use NZ curriculum anyway.

Interesting idea. I don't really know how to go about this. Cold calling
seems a little silly. Maybe that's just my nerves.

> How about signs up at Uni particularly education, computing, and
> languages departments. Some students may be able to call it a "special
> topic project" and get points for it or something.

This was my rationale behind my question whether I was the only one still at
uni. I'm down at the School of Goverment, e.g. down by Parliament, rather
than up the hill with CompSci or at the Faculty of Education.

> Computing could write an activity and that could be an assessment. I
> suggest
> approaching lecturers too as then they can plan for it if they like
> the idea and can jump on board. Languages gets us translators...
>
> Try Wellington Linux User Group.

I don't know if this group is still active... Their page hasn't been updated
since 2008.

> Try Python User Group.

Heh :) I don't wanna overload them. I think Grant & I made up about 1/4 of
the participants at last month's meeting.

> Try local IT companies and education companies. Get a sign up at Ministry
> of
> Education if possible.

What would our pitch be?

> Any events happening presently? Getting XOs in front of people helps.
> Conferences, talks, exhibitions. Try Te Papa and the art gallery.

Te Papa's an interesting idea. I wonder what they council would say if we
asked to set up in Civic Square/waterfront and chatted to people as they
walked past.

> Try a call for volunteers on walls of cafes (careful with that one as
> Southern Cross host us).

Should be fine - I mean we're bringing them more business..