[olpc-nz] Wellington team recruitment

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Tue May 4 03:22:03 EDT 2010

> Our numbers on the weekend sessions are getting quite low. Any thoughts on
> recruitment ideas? Am I the only person in the group who's still at uni?
> I thought that the Wtgn group could broaden its scope slightly, e.g. into
> development & translation. This should mean we appeal to a wider group than
> we currently do.

How about another event with Unlimited Potential? They are an IT
professionals network and we had an open day last year with their
members and their families.

How about an invitation to schools? May find some teachers interested
in writing lesson plans, if not for NZ then for Pacific deployments
which often use NZ curriculum anyway.

How about signs up at Uni particularly education, computing, and
languages departments. Some students may be able to call it a "special
topic project" and get points for it or something. Computing could
write an activity and that could be an assessment. I suggest
approaching lecturers too as then they can plan for it if they like
the idea and can jump on board. Languages gets us translators...

Try Wellington Linux User Group. Try Python User Group. Try local IT
companies and education companies. Get a sign up at Ministry of
Education if possible.

Any events happening presently? Getting XOs in front of people helps.
Conferences, talks, exhibitions. Try Te Papa and the art gallery.

Try a call for volunteers on walls of cafes (careful with that one as
Southern Cross host us).

Do the volunteers blog anywhere publicly? Talk. Share. Retweet.

My blog - http://tabitha.net.nz/mahara/view/view.php?id=4
I also post on - http://laptop.org.nz/
I use identi.ca and twitter to tell the world about olpc stuff -
http://identi.ca/tabitha and http://twitter.com/tabitharoder

Tabitha