[olpc-nz] en-NZ L10N

Tim McNamara mcnamara.tim at gmail.com
Mon May 3 21:35:05 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Robin Paulson <robin.paulson at gmail.com>wrote:

> > I would not see much benefit in having English NZ, Australian and
> > British separately as that is a lot of a volunteers time, so combine
> > into one is much better.

Tabitha - have no fear, each localisation builds every other one. It
actually reduces load.

Just to explain how Pootle web UI. Each variant to a root language, say
French can have each local language, Quebec/Nigerian/Continential, share
with each other. What this means is that it's quite easy to spread the load
between speakers of regional languages/dialects.

This is actually enabled by translators. In your profile, you can select
various source languages, as well as the languages you're happy tran. It
might be visualised in a timeline like this:

Step 0, new word is inserted into server.
  source: color

Step 1, NZ translator is first to encounter this word:
  translator creates en_NZ: colour

Step 2, Aus translator wants to add their bit:
  translator sees: source: color (suggestion en_NZ "colour")
  translator creates en_AU: colour

Step 3: South African translator donates half an hour:
  translator sees: source: color (suggestions: en_NZ "colour", en_AU
"colour")
  translator creates en_ZA: color

Tip - Sugar translation team require a
> > translation sponsor to own the work otherwise they will not want to
> > add the language to the list.

Am happy to act as a sponsor for en_NZ. Should be fine with en_UK.

> i would definitely recommend it as an option - i've met several NZ
> people who are very touchy about this subject, and don't see their
> language as the same as aussies, even if every word on the platform is
> spelt exactly the same

+1

I feel that saying we've got NZ spelling will actually be a big win that's
quite easily obtainable.

> i'd be quite happy to do the work

Thanks Robin. Sign up to the Pootle server :)
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/

--
Tim McNamara
 http://www.timmcnamara.co.nz