[olpc-nz] en-NZ L10N

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Mon May 3 21:15:26 EDT 2010

On 4 May 2010 12:55, Tabitha Roder <tabitha at tabitha.net.nz> wrote:
> I have setup Maori in pootle on the sugarlabs translation site. If you
> know anyone who can help translate that I would be very happy to hear
> that news! Maori translation was the request we had from Ministry of
> Education representatives when Walter Bender came to NZ.

have you tried the university's language departments/fale
pasifika/student learning centre? they might be interested in helping
- if not formally, then some of the students might want to help in
their own time

http://www.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/cs-pacific-student-support/

> I found pootle very easy to use, the only requirement is a web browser
> and internet access as it has a very good GUI. The translator needs to
> know a bit about Sugar as they need context for an accurate
> translation. If someone has translated for another piece of software
> we can import the translation as .po file and that can reduce the
> workload.
>
> I would not see much benefit in having English NZ, Australian and
> British separately as that is a lot of a volunteers time, so combine
> into one is much better. Tip - Sugar translation team require a
> translation sponsor to own the work otherwise they will not want to
> add the language to the list.

i would definitely recommend it as an option - i've met several NZ
people who are very touchy about this subject, and don't see their
language as the same as aussies, even if every word on the platform is
spelt exactly the same

i'd be quite happy to do the work

> I am also looking for Samoan translator and other Pacific region translators.

i'd suggest the same as for maori