[olpc-nz] Phone Call in 3hrs! [was: This week's QA teleconference - Call for agenda items]

Holt holt at laptop.org
Wed Mar 3 21:03:11 EST 2010

Great news: the 8 units successfully delivered to Virtusa Inc in Sri
Lanka today!  Contents including:

    4 XO-1.5 C2's (labeled "SKU-99, ENGINEERING SAMPLE", early
mass-production units)
    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_1.5_C2

    2 XO-1.5 C1's (labeled "C-TEST, ENGINEERING SAMPLE", 99.999%
equivalent to the above?)
    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_1.5_C1

    2 XO-1's (labelled "SKU1", to supplement the 2 XO-1's Sri Lanka's
Virtusa Inc already has)
    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Hardware_specification

we need to begin prep'ing by reflashing to build os110 -- does Virtusa
have USB memory sticks of 1GB or higher ready -- ideally from several
different vendors to ensure XO compatibility?

PS those wanting to join the *Thursday* teleconference call in 3hrs from
now, let me know ASAP:*
00:01/Midnight(US/Boston)*    *10:30(SL/Colombo)    16:00(AU/Sydney)
18:00(NZ/Wellington)

*Possible Backchannels irc.oftc.net:
    #olpc-devel
And on irc.freenode.net:
    #sugar
    #olpc-meeting
    #sugar-meeting
*
AGENDA: (cumulative)*

* have all the people participating have registered on the testing
mailing list:

* OLPC XOs: testers to review http://dev.laptop.org/ for tickets
labelled "test"

* any feedback on the fantastic testing being done by the New Zealand
volunteers:

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/testing/2010-March/001110.html

* Sri Lanka's great gift of 10 full-time testing people over 1.5 months
(starting Mch 8?) can help us build back 2008's very inspiring community
testing drive:
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Friends_in_testing
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Test_cases_8.2.0
   Thanks to the Virtusa Corporation donating these 10 employees, and
proven formal methods we'll integrate alongside, like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Rational_Unified_Process

 > Build 10.10 latest, 201 to be released soon (explanation development
builds: 100s - unsigned builds, 200s - signed builds)

* os110 is the latest development build; os111, os112 etc will likely
follow.
    os201 is the latest signed/stable build on the early production
XO-1.5 laptops; os202 may not happen for a little while?
    All XO-1.5 builds are available here:
    http://build.laptop.org/10.2.0

* Decision around global testing method -- with Chamindra (Sri Lanka
Testing CoLead w/ Dhanushka & Kapila) explains the great streamlining
power of:
   http://blog.TestLink.org
   COMPARE ABOVE wiki.laptop.org methods.
   Writing test cases and following them are a snap -- once someone
installs this PHP site?

* The Sri Lankan team is familiar with open sources methods, but
Cultural intros structuring/cleaning http://dev.laptop.org/1.5 and
http://dev.sugarlabs.org will be extremely important.

* While the XO-1.5's OS/Sugar Activities (and Gnome too) will certainly
be our core focus, side projects will hopefully also be important too:

    - XO-1 : backporting Fedora 11 for ~1.5 million XO's already out
there? (Steve Parrish in North Carolina cc'd, please clarify your
testing needs!)
       http://wiki.laptop.org/go/F11_for_XO-1

    - Similarly Martin Langhoff's possible Release 8.2.2:

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2009-December/thread.html#26750
       http://dev.laptop.org/~martin/8.2.2-betas/

    - Sugar 0.88 (Holt asks Simon Schampijer in Berlin: what
testing/reporting he wants in March/April?)
       http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.88/Testing
       (virtual machines or http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick)

    - Sinhala Translation work (Sri Lankan team can start / recheck
right away!)
       http://translate.sugarlabs.org/si/

FEB 18 CALL NOTES from Tim McNamara:
Attendees: [Holt], James, Chamindra, Kapila, Tim

"1300 XOs in Sri Lanka..."

James - [OLPC's] systems test coordinator - Aus business days - testing
XOs 1.5, mainly hardware/kernel - integration between Sugar & h/w
features. lots of problems w/ software components. Problems with kernel
that are not huge issues. SugarLabs have issues. Important to test.
Produce lots of laptops. We think we have solved with laptops /
peripher[al]s. Problems shouldn't arise.

Software stack, Fedora 11 / where possible we fix the issues & send
upstream. Sugar is the UI.

Testlink allows test cases to be replicated easily. At the moment, there
is no formal method for testing. Balance between
informal/formal methodology to testing to be struck. Formal methods
could available to the community. With Testlink, just be matter of
writing test cases & then moving testers toward the site.

There seems to be a good past effort here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Test_cases

"Friends in Testing" (Micheal Stone) community drive to do something in
the test suite. When a ticket is raised in OLPC, it's sent to Sugar.

Wellington, NZ update: numbers seem limited, Tabitha has moved to
Auckland - recruitment needed

Sri Lankan team to focus on Sugar/activities testing.

*Next meeting*
14 days' time. [phone meetings will be Thursday every 2 weeks, 12:01am
(midnight) Eastern Time]