[olpc-nz] Fwd: [support-gang] 4PM EDT Sunday Call: "Class Acts" Post-Production

Tabitha Roder tabitha at hrdnz.com
Sun Sep 20 05:29:27 EDT 2009

Hi Adam

We are very excited to see Wellington testers at the top of the agenda for
your meeting.

1) Several Dramatic (honestly heroic is the better word here) Stories now
need to be cultivated, plucked and mapped out -- alongside our
Resources/Repository ecosystem above:
    A) Tabitha's NZ Testing Lab!

This is Monday at 8am for us here and we will be at work :-( so unlikely we
can join in at late notice.

News update from us for your meeting:
Today we were at Software Freedom Day, Wellington Town Hall. We gave out
roughly 60 USB keys with SoaS Strawberry preloaded. We had about ten XOs on
display and in use during the Day. This Software Freedom Day agenda included
- 1 hour XO session for kids, 1 hour XO session for tertiary students, 1
hour Scratch session with XOs supporting the desktop machines. Then four
hours of come and see us. We had a lot of interest including some school
teachers and a Principal of an intermediate school (that is 11 and 12 year
olds) who asked us to do a research project with them.
We also took the XOs to Open Government Data Barcamp a couple of weeks ago
to raise awareness of OLPC vision.
We are using SoaS to get more people involved and our test group is growing
with more and more interest from schools and language translators to help
with Maori translation.
We are still meeting every week - Southern Cross, 35 Abel Smith St,
Wellington - on Saturdays at 10.30am. We are always keen for developers to
contact us and ask us to test things for them.

What do you need from us for your story cultivating,and what is your
resources/repository ecosystem please? You might want to see our site -
laptop.org.nz - where we keep people updated on what we do, also we have -
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects/WellyNZTesters - where we put in weekly
one liner on what we have been doing (mostly to show people that we are hear
every week and want to help out with testing).

If you want to talk to our group on IRC or skype, can we look at a more NZ
friendly time? Weekends are easier for us than week days.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
Tabitha