[Olpc-mg] Green wifi: still actual

Samy Boutayeb (OLPC France) samy.boutayeb at olpc-france.org
Thu Jun 4 14:02:15 EDT 2009

Hi Hery,

> The Zain Madagascar GSM operator is also working on deploying 3G+ EDGE
> usb keys combined with  solar-charged phone handsets) that will allow
> the use of internet in remote areas.The solar-powered handset are
> already deployed in rural areas of Madagascar and they have just
> launched the 3G+ USB key in Arivonimamo two or three weeks ago.

That's interesting!

> I don't have a clear view yet of the philosophy behind OLPC projects
> in terms of partnership but this option may be worth considering.

This should be discussed among the malagasian community and the schools
involved. YOU are the community, the users, the actors, etc.!

Let me copy an interesting discussion that took place a few days ago on
the "olpc-sur" list, from Latin America, about the utility of an internet
access for schoolars: see
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/olpc-sur/2009-June/003526.html

(...)
While it is certainly true that access to the Internet enhances the
learning experience, the hardware (OLPC-XO) and software (Sugar) were
designed to work in situations where the Internet is not available.
The laptops can intercommunicate without any external infrastructure
(what we refer to as "under a tree" mode) so that teachers and
students can collaborate and share work without the need for the
Internet. If data is available on a USB key or SD card, it can be
shared among the students. Sugar comes with several activities that
are designed explicitly for this use case, such as Infosicer, which
lets a teacher, who may have occasional access to the Internet, to
make customized snapshots of the Wikipedia to be used in the classroom
offline. The Sugar developer community would appreciate any additional
ideas and feedback as to how we can make the Sugar experience richer
in such circumstances.
(...)

best regards

Samy