[Olpc-mg] Green wifi: still actual

Hery Zo Rakotondramanana heryzo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 13:38:02 EDT 2009

The Zain Madagascar GSM operator is also working on deploying 3G+ EDGE
usb keys combined with  solar-charged phone handsets) that will allow
the use of internet in remote areas.The solar-powered handset are
already deployed in rural areas of Madagascar and they have just
launched the 3G+ USB key in Arivonimamo two or three weeks ago.
I don't have a clear view yet of the philosophy behind OLPC projects
in terms of partnership but this option may be worth considering.
Best
Hery Zo

On 6/4/09, Samy Boutayeb (OLPC France) <samy.boutayeb at olpc-france.org> wrote:
> Hi Sameer, hi all,
>
> I just read an interesting review about Labomobil, a company in
> Dakar/Senegal trying to bridge the digital divide by providing technology
> transfers and a 3-in-1 solution combining wifi access + solar-power
> solutions + telefony for remote areas in villages.
>
> The engineer who is working on this project has designed and built
> technology and financially suitable solutions for olpc deployments in
> Senegal.
>
> It appears that the San Francisco State University, who is planning
> another olpc deployment in Madagascar, is involved in this "Green Wifi"
> project.
>
> See: http://opensource.sfsu.edu/node/541
>
> Best regards
>
> Samy