[Olpc-indonesia] Indonesia XO Deployment / Initial Assessment

octavius.tjiantoro at gmail.com octavius.tjiantoro at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 01:04:13 EDT 2012

Hi Pak Sofyan,

I too am still learning about OLPC, but I am confident it can be applied to many areas in Indonesia.

To make a successful project in Indonesia, I would say we need (a) sponsor to provide the OLPC hardware, (b) local technical team member(s) who are willing to do the field work, (c) a local project coordinator, (d) beneficiary/recipient of the assistance and (e) funding to cover expenses.

In my own case, I think I can offer my services to cover point (c) and a bit of (b) above.

It should not be hard to address point (d).

Now, for point (a) let's say we want to start like Ken Khan's project in Papua, but only with 10 laptops to start with, and the location is in Jakarta,  and we implement this project for 1 month then we'd need $1,000 for hardware plus delivery costs say $500, assuming no import-duty, plus say another $500 for expenses, then perhaps we can get it going for around $2,000 ? Of course with more funding we can do more work.

The good thing about Indonesia is that there's a good supply of technically educated staff that don't have to cost too much, because basic costs of living isn't too high. So, our implementation costs and overheads can be kept to a minimum.

Another good thing is that a lot of (international) donors are ready and wanting to provide assistance in Indonesia, so we should be able to tap into them.

So, I would say, let's just start small and gain the experience from doing it. Once we have proven track-record, our projects should be able to grow.

What do you and others in the list think?

Regards,
Octavius

Sent from BlackBerry® on 3