[Olpc-Haiti] [support-gang] our Haiti translation site's now in English+ French + on Facebook too!

Chris Low christinewlow at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 08:39:34 EST 2010

To illustrate a point: A finale edit neds to be done befoure piloting
in sevaral hubs so that we do not  give the children  kreole
imperfect. We are edicators. Would you be giving Amerikan children
laptups to educational materials with mispelled werd's in English?
Would you for not feel imbarrassed as an educator to be handing out
materials' that had basik words misspeled and grammar bad?

A final edit needs to be done before piloting in several hubs so that
we do not  give the children imperfect Creole. We are educators. Would
you be giving American children laptops and educational materials with
misspelled words in English?  Would you not feel embarrassed as an
educator to be handing out materials that had basic words misspelled
and bad grammar?

So I agree that it is great  to use the good will of many to get the
process going as long as there is truly to follow through of paying a
translator to edit all the material.  But let me also say that a
professional translator has told me in the past that is is not any
easier to translate this way because often one has to change whole
phrases because the meaning has not been captured and that is it is
just as expensive to do because of the time it takes to read the
English, read the imperfect Creole, and then correct it. There is an
argument for just making it a priority to pay a translator who
understands the text/program.
Chris

Chris Low
MCLC Co-director
www.matenwaclc.org
617 543 8844 USA cell
011 509 3 711 0661 Haiti cell
011 509 2 513 0217 LKM
"Live simply so others can simply live."

Please donate to MCLC through Beyond Borders

By check made to:              Beyond Borders/MCLC
                 In memo line:         Matènwa Earthquake Relief Fund
                 Mail to:
                                                  Beyond Borders
                                                  P.O. Box 2132
                                                  Norristown, PA 19404

By credit card online at:         www.matenwaclc.org
Click on:                                     "Donate" button on right
side
MAKE SURE TO GO TO:   "Please let us know where to direct your gift"
AND SELECT:                          Matènwa Earthquake Relief Fund
Complete:                                   form and submit