[Olpc-Haiti] [support-gang] our Haiti translation site's now in English+ French + on Facebook too!

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 21:56:37 EST 2010

Bastien, this was very well put.

Michel - to correct one confusion from the previous thread: you write
   "translation should be taken as a serious professional activity on
a par with the sort of activities that OLPC employees and consultants
(in Haiti and elsewhere) routinely get paid for"

We take translation very seriously.  OLPC relies heavily on volunteer
and open-source collaborations -- for everything from system
development and application design, to the production of our
English-language manuals, to translations of the software and manuals
into other languages.

We have a limited group of employees and contractors who primarily
provide and maintain the infrastructure that our thousands of
volunteer contributors use to make the projects successful.  And we
work to help national teams run, finance, and organize their own
efforts to make deployments successful.   Guy serge comments later in
this thread that his team can provide a final review of translation
(if I understood correctly!), which is great.

Bastien writes:
> By the way, this wiki page is still demanding a kreyòl translation:
>  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Haitian_Creole_Translation_for_Education
>
> If anyone feels uncomfortable editing the wiki directly, please send
> me the translated file and I'll put it online.

Don't we have fluent Kreyol writers waiting for specific tasks?  This
sounds like a great place to start.  I took a stab at it; please fix
the mangled grammar and syntax that resulted:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Haitian_Creole_Translation_for_Education/lang-ht

Regards,
SJ